The first settler, the Rev. Moses Lawrence, built his home in 1834 on the shore of Lawrence Lake about a half mile east of the present town. In 1837, surveyors found a large hickory tree in the center of section 28, from which the settlement took its name. Solomon C. Hall built the first house in the town and became the first postmaster in July 1844.
Hickory Corners is located in southwestern Barry County at the intersection of Kellogg School Road and West Hickory Road. It is 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north of the southern boundary of Barry County with Kalamazoo County and 2.5 miles (4.0 km) east of state highway M-43.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the Hickory Corners CDP has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), of which 0.004 square miles (0.01 km2), or 0.28%, is water.
Points of Interest
The Gilmore Car Museum, a collection of classic automobiles, is located at the intersection of M-43 and West Hickory Road, with a Hickory Corners mailing address. The museum includes the Michigan Motor Sports Hall of Fame.
The Kellogg Biological Station, an off-campus education complex of Michigan State University, has a Hickory Corners mailing address and is located 3 miles (5 km) southwest of the center of town, on the northeast shore of Gull Lake.